Saturday, June 19, 2010

Friday morning. In the 'How Deep Can I Get' Department, I just want to state for the record that my hair still looks great. . . . .

Spent a small fortune yesterday afternoon at the Yaniv Levy Salon. And it was worth it. Because when I walked out, I didn't look like anyone I actually know but I did, indeed, like the woman who looked back at me in the mirror. She was confident, intelligent, athletic, and sported a wee twinkle in her eye. Downright adorable. No wonder Hollywood stars travel with their hairdressers, even when they don't look like Warren Beatty!

It was a long week with a lot of bumps, surprises, heart flips, and shared joy:

Awakened to the sad news that yesterday my last surviving uncle, my father's youngest brother, drowned in the pool of his Florida condominium. it is at times like this that the physical distance between me and my loved ones is something that cannot be 'explained away' at a Nefesh b'Nefesh seminar. It is the one thing - the ONLY thing in my opinion - that never, ever gets better after moving home to Israel.

Had the zchut of attending a magnificent wedding celebration last night in the beautiful setting of 'Sequoia,' in Maale HaHamisha. Elisheva Corn (daughter of Devorah & Ben) married Ezra Hahn of Toronto. Except for the drone of the muezzin from a nearby Arab village during the chupah, one almost would have believed that they were in America. Devorah (Phyllis) called me this morning before i could get to her and we 'hugged' over the phone. (No man would write a blog like this. 'Phone hugs'? Even I'm cringing . . . .) Everyone at the wedding looked beautiful: the wedding gown was breathtaking and worth every shekel. my daughter Talia looked – as she often does – weepingly beautiful. (I find it curious that she hasn't returned, yet, the diamond earrings she borrowed.)

Just learned that Werner Loval, husband of my friend Pamela (who I met several years ago in Jerusalem's Sam Orbaum Scrabble Club) has published he memoirs. the book launch was last week and on Sunday it will be on sale at Steimatzkys. Look for it: it's called We Were Europeans and shares the tale of growing up in the most tumultuous time and region of our modern history. That book had better be wonderful (as I'm pretty certain it will be) because that title is so filled with promise and beauty that I'm already crying.

Johannesburg grandson Shmuel Dovid Karpes lost his first tooth. This is actually 'a cheat' because he lost two others by falling off a South African security gate a little more than a year ago, but this was a legitimate 'rite of passage.' We talked a little bit this morning about the World Cup, flags from different countries, vuvezela horns (deafening symbols of an embarrassing non-culture), the weather in J'Burg (freezing), and what might possibly be wrong with Abba's car.

For those of you who faithfully listen to the show, you may have noticed a little blip in my usual smooth delivery during the show this past Wednesday. It seems that scheduled guest Sherri Miller and I misunderstood one another and she didn't realize that she was supposed to be in the studio at 1 that day. Instead, I reached her during the first musical break, muttering under my breath, "Where the hell are you???" and she answered, "I'm at a meeting in Tel Aviv. Why?" So what you were hearing in place of regular programming was almost an hour of 'winging it' with perspiration soaking through my clothing down to the waist and Adam Mallerman at the controls, yukking it up, having a grand ole time listening to my free-associations for the remainder of the program. Surprisingly (Not? Maybe?), 'Chana' wrote in with a thumbs-up: "Don't have any more guests. The show was great when it was just you!" My response? 'AARGHHHHH!" Stay tuned because Sherri is scheduled to actually HONOR HER COMMITMENT next week . . . . 

Enough for now. crazed for coffee. Planning an easy, cozy, relaxed Shabbos. Nate's away, Ariel's in school, Talia will eat with a friend tonight, and Tehilah and I will have an early dinner and spend any/all time studying for her history bagrut. I've been meaning to try the Rambam shul for a long time and now that I know my friends Naomi and Alex daven there, I may just get brave tomorrow a.m. and actually try something new. Was invited for a seudah shlishit in German Colony, tomorrow evening at 7:00. And – how personal are these blog things supposed to get? – I actually have a date with a male person on Saturday night, motzei shabbos. As with everything else, we'll see.

Shabbat Shalom. Spread the peace. . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment